Translate to your language of choice

Friday 7 March 2014

Top Ten Comic Characters for 2013


Nothing can ever go wrong with a healthy dose of laughter. Last year I watched a couple of indigenous movies, television shows and skits, and I laughed so hard that tears fell from my eyes copiously.  I didn’t even care for the execution of the story; I didn’t mind if it had loopholes or potholes.  I was simply caught up in the antics of the comic characters in them.

Here is my top ten lists of the comic characters that made me laugh so much that I nearly forgot I live in a country where terrorism is a constant K, and corruption is a respecter of nobody.

In no particular order:
Tomi Odunsi of Tinsel
Tinsel’S Shalewa:  She is the main reason I always tune in to watch Tinsel on Mnet. Reminiscent of the Funke Akindele’s  wanna-be village champion Jenifa character in the movie Jenifa, Shalewa’s spoken English in  a get-used-to-the-way-I-speak  manner always left my ribs cracked from too much laughter. Also, the way she always handled her classy and snobbish mother’s disdain for her poor communication and etiquette made her a fun character to watch. I used to think Tomi Odunsi, the young lady cast to play Shalewa was a real life local girl until I watched a performance she gave at an edition of The Open Mic event. Kudos Tomi for a job well done.

- Tinsel is showing on Africa Magic Entertainment Dstv Ch. 128

Frank Donga

Ndani TV’s Frank Donga: The first time I heard about that name was on twitter. I followed the conversations of some of my twitter followers who were in awe of the character, and I was thinking what the fuss was all about until I clicked a link to watch one of the webisodes and ol’boy I was in awe too. My initial reaction was if it was make-believe or a reality show where the character was oblivious of hidden cameras on him. The actor, whose real names I don’t know yet, must be a damn good actor or he was probably re-enacting his real life personality on screen. His facial expressions in an attempt to reply questions thrown at him in all the interview scenes like he has something intelligent to say is classic.

-   ndani.tv/blog/the-interview-the-tale-of-frank-donga

Mary Ogbonna (Clinic Matters)

Clinic Matters Biliki Sisiraju: This illiterate cleaner from Ibadan who is not easily intimidated by the nurses in the clinic where she works is another hilarious character. Read my lips, she is funny as hell. I find her constant pouting when angry or feeling advantaged very comical. Thumbs up to Mary Ogbonna, the actress who carried the role effortlessly, and she is Igbo too.

-    Clinic Matters is showing on AIT Network, Wednesdays 7.00pm – 7.30 pm, STV Lagos, Sundays 5.30 – 6.00pm

Rita Dominic in The Meeting

The Meeting’s Clara Ikemba: I didn’t see this one coming at all. I didn’t know Rita Dominic was capable of acting a comic role. She used to be a stereotyped girl-in-love or heartbroken lover in most Nollywood flicks until I saw her play Clara Ikemba in The Meeting which was co-produced by her.  Did I find her funny? Yes, I completely forgot I was watching Rita a.k.a. ‘the usual love suspect’ on screen as I got engrossed in her cantankerous portrayal of a very annoying but funny secretary in a government office.   

-   The Meeting is available for sale on DVD in various film stores nationwide

Justice Nuagbe (Ushbebe)


AY’s CRIB’s USHBEBE – Ushbebe is the dumb fictional gateman in the house of the popular Comedian AY in the sitcom AY’s CRIB. Is he dumb? Yes, and in capital letters too.  Played by Justice Emonaerere Nuagbe ,  a banker turned comedian.

-  AY’S CRIB is Showing on TVC, Africa Magic, and AIT (Broadcast time not available at the moment)

Katherine Obang

Lekki Wives Uju: Lies, wannabe, runs-woman, bloody liar, greedy, and terrible liar are terms that will best suit the character Uju in the acclaimed webisode Lekki Wives. The truth, these qualities made Uju a fun character to watch, and we loved her that way until the writer decided to murder her so she could pass on a moral message. OAP Katherine Obang who played Uju did not disappoint at all.

-   Lekki Wives is available for sale on DVD in various film stores nationwide.

Seyi Law

Seyi Law’s Black Jeezus: We are used Comedians in Nigeria releasing various skits online to publicise their show or event, but the one that stood out for me last year was ‘The Return of Jeezus’ which saw  Seyi Law as a black Jeezus in a rehearsal of the passion of Jesus Christ. Unable to bear the lashing from the whip he yelled ‘Jesuuuu!’ and he fired back with the question, "if na so den beat Jesus, he for reach calvary?' That performance left me in stitches for days as I kept playing it back, over, and over.

- www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SwtejFJNnE

Jingle Bingle’s Sister Clara: Hmmm, okay this one was my creation. Yes ke, I am a screenwriter ni.  You didn’t know?  Okay, now you know.  While I was writing the script for the short film I’d chuckle at the things I had to make the character say and her reaction to people’s reaction to her actions. I had no idea how funny it would turn out until I watched the clip of the finished work.  I kept laughing and amazed that I created that crazy character. High five to Bukky Thomas, the upcoming actress that brought Sister Clara to live on screen.

-   www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MyiuJDD5Ss

Kelechi Udegbe as Officer Titus

Ndani TV’s Officer Titus: Officer Titus is satire of a traffic law enforcement officer always on the prowl looking for traffic offenders in Lagos. If you live in Lagos, you’ll be used to seeing several officers Titus on the road.  The fear of them … Kelechi Udegbe’s flawless portrayal as officer Titus made me wondered if that was the work he was used to before he discovered his gifting in acting. Very entertaining. Well done Kelechi.

- ndani.tv/blog/officer-titus-one-chance

Biola Segun Williams

Finding Mercy’s Yoruba Market Woman:  I had heard so much about Finding Mercy, especially about the new kid on the block Blossom Chukwujekwu whom I heard gave a stellar performance in the movie. Quickly, I searched for it and started watching it but really got blown away by Biola Segun Williams’s performance as his onscreen mother. Her portrayal as a Yoruba market woman was impeccable and a complete contrast of her role as diva on Tinsel.

-    Finding Mercy is available online on Irokotv.com

No comments:

Post a Comment