Translate to your language of choice

Monday 28 January 2013

A Breath of Fresh Air: Papa Sam


Some people are born with talents, others have it thrust upon them. Babatunde Samuel, a.k.a. Papa Sam, second runner up, Next Movie Star (2013), falls in the first category.

I met him for the first time in my hundred level in the university. I didn't just want to have an 'only book affair' memory and needing a creative exercise I had joined one of the most popular group on campus ELSA Play House (English and Literature Students Association) and auditioned for a role in a production of theirs, Obaseki, written by Don Pedro Obaseki, during the second semester of the same year. That was when our paths crossed for the first time.

Like me, he wasn't studying English and Literature but our talents made it possible for our admission as members of the creative group. He was already a student of the university before I gained admission, and an older member of ELSA Playhouse, so I didn't know much about him, except that I thought he was carefree and unserious with his lackadaisical attitude during rehearsals. At that time too, I thought he didn't know how to act because he was just not serious at rehearsals, but I was mistaken. On the second night of the performance on that big stage, being watched by students, lecturers, lovers of theater, and visitors from the city, this unserious dude exuded a different kind of energy in his performance as one of the key characters and antagonists to Obaseki, a display I hitherto hadn't see him exhibited before. I was impressed, and my respect for him began to grow.


He wasn't the star for that night, as the best performance was unarguably the preserve of the dude that played Obaseki, but he was a favorite that night. What I didn't know was that he was saving the best for the last. I mean we had a second play, Our Husband Has Gone Mad Again, written by Ola Rotimi, that was to be performed the next day and Papa Sam was to play the lead. We had a fuller hall that day, and this somewhat unserious acting dude stole the night leaving people reeling in laughter, and value for their money.

After that episode he proved himself, over and over again, as an actor and a director. Simply put, he has art running in his veins. I know the next question is if he is that good why haven't we heard about him until now. The answer is that I have no idea, at least now you are hearing about him.


When he told me that he had entered for NMS, being a comrade in the entertainment business, and someone who is convinced he would do great things in the movie world, I not only applauded his moves, but supported him believing he'd steal the show. Yes, he stole the show, I mean the Next Movie Star Reality Show, but not the crown. Since the show wrapped he's been on one production set to another.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you Papasam, as he climbs the ladder of fame to becoming the next big thing. Tweet at him via @papasamm


Powered by:


2 comments:

  1. Yes! This guy is truly very talented. I see him in movies and I ask myself everytime who is this guy.I sincerely wish him loads of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A history to be reckoned with...love the stage dramas.. And its an honor to be his friend....I mean isn't dat awesome.. Thumbs up to you Papasam!!!!!

    ReplyDelete